Florists Report, 1924-1926

12 12 2011

The following report of the Florist Department at the Oregon State Hospital was taken from the 22nd Biennial Report of the Oregon State Hospital for the biennium ending September 30, 1926.

The work of this department has been taken control of by one employe and six patients.  They are planting and caring for many beds of flowers on the hospital grounds, this department has furnished cut flowers and potted plants for use on the various wards.

Flowers, shrubs, plants and bulbs have been furnished without charge to the following institutions and departments:

 

Chemawa Indian School……………………………….160
Deaconess Hospital……………………………………..1382
Eastern Oregon State Hospital……………………….2633
Oregon State Industrial School for Girls…………..951
Oregon State Institution for the Feeble Minded…587
Oregon State Penitentiary……………………………..3267
Oregon State School for Blind…………………………418
Oregon State School for Deaf………………………….200
Oregon State Tuberculosis Hospital…………………143
Public schools and colleges in the state……………1126

Total………………………………………………………….10867

Advertisements




Applebaum Suppository Machine

7 11 2011

The device pictured to the right is a suppository making machine.  It, along with two additional molds, were found in a case that was moved from the old Fairview Hospital to OSH when Fairview was closed and added to the material stored in OSH’s “Gold Room” for historic artifacts.

The machine was patented in 1924 by Samuel K. Applebaum.  The inscription on the device’s frame reads: “Applebaum Suppository Machine MFD. By Druggists Appliance MFG. Co., Port Richmond, N.Y. Pats. Pending.”  It is possible that this machine was made prior to the 1924 patent issue date.[1]  The web-based Museum of Historical Medical Artifacts has a machine that looks very similar dated at about 1925.

In his patent application, Applebaum explains his machine and the reason for his improvements to the general practice of suppository making:

This invention relates to improvements in apparatus by means of which suppositories and like medicaments are molded and particularly to improvements in the parts of such machines that are immediately involved in the molding operation.  It has been a common practice for pharmacists, Read the rest of this entry »





Standard Hospital Asylum and Institution Directory, 1928

18 04 2011

The Standard Hospital Asylum and Institution Directory, written by M.F. Teehan and Published by Standard Publishing in Topeka, Kansas, was the directory for hospital workers.  In addition to topical essays on general practices within asylums and institutions, it lists all institutions in the country (and some in the Caribbean as well) and provides detailed information on such things as staff housing situations, uniforms, staff entertainment, time off per week, salaries paid, size and layout of the hospital, size of the nearest town and approximate transportation fare between the town and the hospital.

It had the following to say about Oregon’s 3 institutions at the time [I have expanded upon the original abbreviations for the purpose of clarity]:

Eastern Oregon State Hospital, [closest town] Pendleton — Population 8,000. 2 miles. 50 c taxi fare.
Wing [layout].  Dr. W.D McNary [Superintendent].  Patients 800.  Employees 75. Physicians 3.  Semi-weekly amusements.  Partial married quarters. Uniform: stripe gingham, belted at waist, bib and strap, white apron.  Duty hours: 12.5-14.  Night Duty hours: 10.  Time Off: 3 afternoons a week.

Read the rest of this entry »