Applebaum Suppository Machine

7 11 2011

The device pictured to the right is a suppository making machine.  It, along with two additional molds, were found in a case that was moved from the old Fairview Hospital to OSH when Fairview was closed and added to the material stored in OSH’s “Gold Room” for historic artifacts.

The machine was patented in 1924 by Samuel K. Applebaum.  The inscription on the device’s frame reads: “Applebaum Suppository Machine MFD. By Druggists Appliance MFG. Co., Port Richmond, N.Y. Pats. Pending.”  It is possible that this machine was made prior to the 1924 patent issue date.[1]  The web-based Museum of Historical Medical Artifacts has a machine that looks very similar dated at about 1925.

In his patent application, Applebaum explains his machine and the reason for his improvements to the general practice of suppository making:

This invention relates to improvements in apparatus by means of which suppositories and like medicaments are molded and particularly to improvements in the parts of such machines that are immediately involved in the molding operation.  It has been a common practice for pharmacists, Read the rest of this entry »